Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society, by Annie Barrows & Mary Ann Schaffer

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society is a mouthful of a name and every time I inform the uninformed about this book, I get some variation of "The what??"

However, while the name may fill your mouth with a handful of unintelligible babble, the book is one of the most captivating and interesting books I've read in a quite a while. I "read" this book on audio and I have to highly recommend this reading format. The audio version gives each character their own voice and makes the novel come alive in a way that transports you into Juliet's world. I believe I might have fallen in love with Guernsey more than Juliet did, and I've seriously looked at my suitcase hanging in my closet with a longing to travel to Guernsey to meet these imaginary friends that Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Schaffer have created in my mind.

It's a beautiful story and I can hardly believe that it is fiction. Or perhaps its place in the fiction world makes it all the more beautiful for creating a life and a story that feels so real.

If you only read one book this year, read this one. The book is so delicious that you'll find yourself wishing to devour it all over again.

My rating: 9- Top 100 - this books tops the charts of my favorite books!

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm glad you liked it! I loved this book. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment didn't seem to come through the first time. I'll try it again:

    I can't wait to read that book! My mom read it for her book club and loved it. It's now sitting by my nightstand with all her other book club books she has lent me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! I live for books like this, that you want to devour in one sitting.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Elisha's blog = powered by comments.