Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Dragonfly Pool, by Eva Ibbsotson

I'll preface this post by giving the disclaimer that I don't often read children's literature and therefore feel inadequate to review this book.  With that being said, you should also know that I adore Eva Ibbotson's writing and have bulldozed my way through all of her adult literature. She has simply captivated me and is stationed somewhere in my top 20 favorite authors of all time. 

Sadly and unexpectedly, I was sorely bored throughout this entire book. Perhaps it is not a fascinating book, but I can't help thinking that I built up her writing in my mind to such a peak that when I dove into her children's work I expected nothing short of a caliber similar to that of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series.

Perhaps children may find this book compelling, but I am sorry to say that I could hardly muster my way through the book. I'll even admit that I skimmed full chapters towards the end as I just couldn't wait to finish and move on to the next book. 

I'm curious to see whether anyone else had a different and more pleasant experience with this book. I wonder if my expectations were simply too high and therefore my disappointment more acute.

My sad and reluctant review: 3- Bleh. I wouldn't bother, but maybe you have more patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elisha's blog = powered by comments.