Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Appeal, by John Grisham

If you've ever read more than one of John Grisham's books, than you'll know that they're all equally intriguing but they rarely leave a lasting impression [at least for me]. I find that all of his books merge together in my mind to create an cacophony of blended memories that can only be described as a tale of suspense and intrigue in the legal and political realms.

This book, as usual, lived up to my standard's of John Grisham's consistent quality, but is more memorable than his other books I've read. Whether you love John Grisham's works or this is your first introduction, The Appeal will intrigue. My father-in-law, if he hasn't already, would add it to his "John Grisham" bookshelf which houses the abundant works of this capable author.

The Appeal, more so than his other books, caused me to dwell on our justice system and the effect of money politics in it. I was surprised at the ending John Grisham choose for this book (which I won't give away to those of you who haven't read it), but I found I agreed with his fitting conclusion as it caused the reader to analyze our political situation.

As a Political Science major in college, I should be pleased by books that spark a righteous anger at the failings of justice in our system, but I must admit that the more I learn about our methods of governance, both locally, internationally, and historically, the more inept I feel to incite any real change. This disillusionment of my abilities to change the world, as we all long to do when we are in our early twenties, makes me want to crawl into my cacoon of disinformation and ignore the tyranny of money that is like a bomb exploding near the walls of my protected shell.

I find my theory on politics is growing closer to that which I have criticized the American public for on countless occasions - ignorance is bliss. And yet, ignorance does not spur action and the world needs action.

While this book angered my sense of justice, it captured the thing that excites me in a book - the everyday little actions that make the world a better place. Things like the love of a parent towards their child, the love of a pastor for his congregation, and a judge with a passion to see justice and compassion combined.

My rating: 7- Great. This book is worth reading AND recommending.



If you liked this book, you might also like:

1. Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett (Note to reader: Rated R for graphic violence and sexual content)


2. The Winner, by David Baldacci


3. The Associate, by John Grisham

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elisha's blog = powered by comments.