Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Maze Runner, by James Dashner

I've been debating how to review this book for weeks now. I really REALLY want to gush about how much I love this book because I really did love it. And yet, I'm restraining the gushing because I'm just not sure I'm in love.

My feelings toward this book remind me of that perfect guy you want to fall in love with - that you should fall in love with - but some unnameable lack of passion prevents you from ever being more than friends.  I've been pondering why I am not in love with The Maze Runner and the following is what I've concluded.  While James Dashner creates a new reality that is both fascinating and creative with characters who are well rounded and a story-line that is interesting and unique, he has left out one important aspect:

Love.

I'm not only talking about love between a guy and girl, but love in general - love for the brotherhood, love for the character who resembles your little brother,  love for your best friend, love for a high power.  He simply doesn't do anything with love.  The characters like eachother. They even build a comradarie that pulls you through their interactions in the book.  And yet, as great as comradarie is, it is always the love at the base of comraderie that holds a reader's attention.

James Dashner does try to throw love into the book a little, but the relationships he attempts are so ill-developed that when one of the characters doesn't make it to the end of the book, you don't mind and you certainly aren't in tears.

So while I liked this book A LOT and I wish I could say I loved it, I have to hold back because a hint of love is never the same as true love. And who really wants only a hint of love in their life?

My rating: 7- Great. This book is worth reading AND recommending.



If you liked this book, you might also like:

1. The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins


2. Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card


3. Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld

1 comment:

  1. I loved the maze runner! Video at www.thegladers.info

    ReplyDelete

Elisha's blog = powered by comments.