Friday, January 8, 2010

The Demon King, by Cinda Williams Chima

This book was my first introduction to Cinda Williams Chima's writing. I requested this book at the library after Taleah (my lovely "little" sister) convinced me that it looked interesting. Then the 30 person wait list at the library piqued my interest to a higher level and made my wonder if the author was so good and her fans so numerous that the library couldn't keep up with the demand.

However, when the book finally made its way through the ranks of Cinda's adoring fans and landed on the large stack of books reserved for me, I couldn't convince myself to read it. It just didn't look that interesting and I had so many other fascinating worlds to disappear in.

Finally, the day after Christmas, my lovely local library emails me a notice informing me that this book is SOOO popular that it is only a 14 day rental (a fact that had somehow escaped my notice earlier) and is due the day that we return from our Christmas vacation.

Frustrating! Now I'm forced to read this book or return it and wait for another 30 people to read it. So I curl up in bed with a terrible cold and settle down to read this long put-off book.

And I loved it. I'm not sure why I was so hesitant (seeing as the rest of the world already discovered that Cinda's work is amazing), but now I am joining the ranks of her adoring fans. I was completely enthralled by every character and was mesmorized by the perfect combination of love, adventure, and fanstastical happenings. It is a beautifully woven story and I am only disappointed that I have to wait for the sequel!

[Side Note: For the somewhat conservative readers out there, this book is not about demons. However, magic does play a huge role in this book including wiazards, dark magic, good magic, etc.]

My rating: 8- Holy Cow! This book rocks my socks off, but isn't the best book I've ever read. (Although, it might get an 8.5 - it almost makes it to the top 20 books!)



If you liked this book, you might also like:

1. Wizard's First Rule, by Terry Goodkind


2. The Shannara Heritage, by Terry Brooks


3. Eragon, by Christopher Paolini

3 comments:

  1. ooh another book I'll have to read! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elisha! I'm glad to see someone else likes books as much as I do! I have not read the book in this post, but I do have one of the recommended books that my dad lent me that I haven't read yet: Eragon. Have you ever read that one? He said it was really good.

    I've decided I'm going to follow your blog now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Eragon! You can tell that he's a younger/newer writer when reading the first book, but as the book and series progresses, the writing becomes more accomplished. If you've seen the disaster of the movie, I can assure you that the book is much better and a very fun read! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Elisha's blog = powered by comments.