Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"Pretties" & "Specials" by Scott Westerfeld

The remaining books in the Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld are equally as captivating and rife with adventure as the first novel (you can read my review of Uglies here).

Scott is a wordsmith who draws you into Tally's mis-adventures and who magically enspells you in the world that he's created. I won't write a detailed review as it would give too much away that you'll discover in the first book, Uglies, but I will mention that this is probably one of my favorite series that I've read in a long time.

At the same time that I sing Uglies' praises, I am sadly disappointed in the ending of this series. Scott builds up a specific relationship in the book which he then disperses with in a off-handed manner. He so casually ends this character's involvement in the book that you feel disappointed with the books in general. Sadly, while these may have been some of my favorite books of all time, I can hardly bring myself to continue to love and recommend them simply due to his dissatisfying ending.

Poo. I was really hoping to give the series a glowing review, but I'm simply still too frustrated with the ending to emotionally disconnect myself from it and recommend the book based on its incredible writing and intriguing storyline.

However, Scott has a chance to redeem himself with the fourth addition to the trilogoy (making it a quadrilogy??) - Extras. I'm somehow hoping for the impossible and wishing he'll bring back a character from the dead. It's been done before - anyone heard of vampires?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Elisha's blog = powered by comments.